Children have hurried, complicated, and confusing lives. They are dealing with conflicting messages and barraged by worldly beliefs. They may be coming to your group carrying burdens you know nothing about.
The church should be a place where they feel loved and secure. And there are simple steps we can all take to help make that a reality.
Everything you say and do must be measured against communicating a biblical message of love and care. This is essential to ministry.
The goal is to have lives transformed through understanding God’s Word and live out each day through Him. Children have transformation when they trust you and feel valued, loved, and protected as you lean in to share God’s love with them.
Internalizing the following core beliefs will help you provide emotional and spiritual safety for the children in your group:
You are here to love and help others—regardless of how they make you feel.
Each child holds intrinsic value bestowed on them by God. Treat them as the precious treasures they are.
Your faith needs to be firm while leading young hearts. Your life’s example and actions will speak the loudest.
Treating a child’s trust with care recognizes that it is a delicate gift. Keep your promises.
God placed these children in your care. Honor Him by honoring them.
Here’s How to Put These into Practice in Your Group:
- During your prep time, check your own spiritual health and remember to rely on God—not your own efforts.
- Listen with interest to what the children say.
- Never let a student receive a negative label but instead give them words of love, encouragement, and blessing.
You haven’t been called just to teach a lesson or lead an activity. You have been called to be an example of Christ’s love and care to the children in your group.
Questions for Your Team to Think About:
- How can you be intentional about making sure you are providing children with emotional and spiritual safety?
- Who are some of the children in your ministry that may need extra prayer and attention to foster their emotional and spiritual safety?