We’ve now been social distancing from one another for approximately 4 months. Many of us have been huddled in our houses as we navigate these unforeseen and uncertain circumstances. That being said, many parents are out of ideas for fun family activities. So, we’re here to help.
Take a deep breath, and let’s have some fun in the midst of the chaos. Grab some ideas from the list below and share them with your families!
Get outside! These fun activity ideas will have you wanting to be outside the house ASAP.
- Go stargazing. Take the time to look at God’s awesome creation together! How many stars you can see?
- Make a slip and slide in your backyard. Check out this one and be inspired.
- Do something local. Go hiking, fishing, or visit a park! The local zoo is another great option for being outdoors together.
- Make a garden in your yard. This is an awesome way to be together outdoors—while still being at home! Look at these gardens and go transform your yard.
- Clean up! Take a day to clean out your garage or have a yard sale.
- Watch the sunset. Take a drive or find a cozy spot to watch the sunset together.
- Wake up early to watch the sunrise. This may not be what your kids are most excited about but appreciating the beauty of God’s handiwork does so much for our souls!
With a little creativity, you can make space to grow together as a family while having fun!
- Make photo albums. Whether you do this digitally or break out the fancy paper and adhesive, this is a great way to have fun together picking out pictures of favorite memories. These pins should inspire you!
- Tie dye something. Really, we aren’t joking. This is a fantastic way to get creative together. Check out these for inspiration.
- Movie marathons with an indoor campout. Get all the blankets and pillows from around your house and throw them in your living room. Camp out indoors and watch some fun movies together. Even build a fort!
- Learn another language. If you have a lot of time on your hands and you want to learn something … learn another language! Apps like this can help you do it.
- Have a spa day. That’s right, you heard us: Have A Spa Day! These ideas should get you started.
- Paint something. Paint a wall, paint a canvas, paint a picture. Just get creative together and keep the fun memories forever.
- Get crafty—in a good way. You can learn origami or even make slime!
- Make a vision board. Take the time to envision something together. Whether it’s helping your kids design their bedrooms, planning an adventure, or thinking about the future!
- Build an obstacle course at your house! Or even play the floor is lava. That’s always a great one with kids.
Have a laugh together, get competitive, and enjoy the time together.
- Have an indoor scavenger hunt. Set it up and have your kids search for everything on the list—even use riddles to add some difficulty to it.
- Learn a new card game. Table time can be extra fun with cards! Teach your family a game and enjoy the fun.
- Teach your pet a cool trick. Talk about spending time together. This will have your family all working together toward one goal. Think about the joy on your kids’ faces once your pet masters it!
- Learn a new sport. And then get together and play.
- Have a virtual game night. There are lots of apps out there where you can play games with your family—even if they are across the country! Spending time together this way helps—especially during social distancing.
- Complete a puzzle. You can even form teams and make it a competition. Whoever’s team finishes first wins!
Get Food Involved
Cooking together, and eating together, creates space for conversations of all sorts.
- Bake sweet treats. Here’s some ideas for your kitchen.
- Cook new foods. Make something new together. Sometimes a change of pace makes life feel a little more fun.
- Order takeout. This is a great thing to do during a movie night or even just a regular weekday to change things up.
- Organize your kitchen. This makes mama happy, while keeping everyone busy together.
Spend Time in God’s Word
Of course, this is one of the most important things you can do together. Here’s some ideas to help!
- Do a devotional together. Check out this free devotional for family time in God’s Word.
- Tell stories. You can use lessons like these to share how Jesus works in really awesome ways.
- Teach worship as a response to God. Free resources like this one helps families grow together and in God’s Word.
- Take a prayer walk. Walk out giving your worries to God with your kids using this free resource.
- Share your life experiences. Remind your kids that they aren’t alone. You have been there, you are there for them, and God is there for them too!